Alley Cleanup

The Right-of-Way Maintenance Division is responsible for maintaining the City's alleys.


Crossing Guards

The Crossing Guards are responsible for assisting elementary school children in crossing at designated intersections safely. The City maintains nine crossing locations during the school year. The City is responsible for maintaining safe crossing locations for year round sessions. The division works in conjunction with the school administration to encourage the dissemination of information to parents and children concerning the safest routes to the schools. The Traffic Division of the Sheriff's office assists the training of the guards and traffic enforcement when necessary.

Back to Top

Graffiti Removal

The City of Lynwood is concerned about graffiti and is determined to eliminate it in our Community. Our goal is to remove graffiti as soon as possible. The speedy removal of graffiti will show graffiti vandals that their actions will not be tolerated. We need your help! Report graffiti whenever you see it.

Back to Top

Facts to Think About

People in communities just like ours discovered that their street, neighborhood, or business had changed overnight. That's because someone, with no respect, left behind a public or private property with graffiti. Graffiti vandals better known as "taggers" do the majority of graffiti. Taggers make their marks by graffiting their street signature or tag in often times places that are potentially high risk areas such as bridges. Others deface public areas to show that they, and not the agency responsible are in control. Graffiti vandals like to believe they are outside of the community's social structure and see graffiti as a means of expression.

Who are these Taggers?

Most graffiti is done by our youth whose ages range from pre-teens to early 20s. Younger children and adults have also been caught. Graffiti vandals come from every ethnic and income background. Because vandals like to mark surfaces where peers will recognize their "tag", most graffiti in a community is done by those who live there.

Should You Be Concerned About Graffiti?

Graffiti is not a "victimless" crime. Everyone: children, parents, business owners and taxpayers are harmed by graffiti. Maintaining graffiti is unlawful.

How You Can Help?

  • Remove Graffiti immediately or contact the City or Sheriff's Department
  • Keep your property well lit, clean and landscaped
  • Plant native shrubs with prickly or thorny foliage near walls and fences
  • Take part in your community affairs
  • Talk with your children about respecting public and private property
  • Write to your elected officials and ask them to continue to address the graffiti problem.

We work hard to provide you with a clean and attractive city!

Confidentiality is maintained

The Right-A-Way Maintenance Division takes care of the daily removal of the citywide graffiti. Approximately 150,000 square feet of graffiti is removed monthly.

Handicapped Services

Handicap Parking Permits can be obtain by individuals with special handicap hardship cases.

The City of Lynwood does not provide on-street parking for private individuals. It must be emphasized that even disabled parking zones" do not constitute "Personal reserved parking," and, that any person with valid disabled persons" license plate (DP or VT plates) may park in such stalls. Person parking in such stalls resolved by City Council Resolution No.77-89.

Back to Top

Household Hazardous Waste Materials

Schedule of Collection Events

Sponsored jointly by the Sanitation Districts and Los Angeles County

The Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program gives Los Angeles County residents a legal and cost-free way to dispose of unwanted household chemicals that cannot be disposed of in the regular trash.

Who can come to the roundups?
You can....... if you are a LA County resident!

What you CAN bring
to a roundup:

What you CANNOT bring
to a roundup:

    • motor oil, oil filters,
      brake fluid paint
    • paint thinner, turpentine
    • cleaners with acid or lye
    • pesticides or herbicides
    • household batteries
      or car batteries
    • pool chemicals
    • explosives
    • ammunition
      radioactive materials
    • trash
    • tires
    • business wastes

How should you prepare?

  • Bring the items you wish to dispose of in a sturdy box preferably in their original, labeled containers.
  • Do not EVER mix products together.
  • It is ILLEGAL to transport more than 15 gallons or 125 pounds of hazardous waste in your personal vehicle.
  • Be prepared to leave your containers. Because of permitting requirements, and the volume of people that utilize the program, items such as gasoline cans WILL NOT be returned.
    For more information,call (800)238-0713 or (888) CLEAN-LA


No Appointment Necessary
Call 1-800-98-TOXIC for more information

No Appointment Necessary
Call 1-800-238-0173 or 1-888-CLEANLA for more information

OR CALL 1-800-98-TOXIC



Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County
Information Services Section
1955 Workman Mill Road
P.O. Box 4998
Whittier, CA 90607
(800) 238-0173

Depose of Household Hazardous Waste is conducted by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works and the Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County in cooperation with the cities of Bell, Bellflower, Bell Gardens, Commerce, Compton, Cudahy, Downey, Huntington Park, Long Beach, Lynwood, Maywood, Norwalk, Paramount and South Gate. Free Countywide Roundups are held throughout the year. For more information, please call (888) CLEAN-LA or (800) 238-0172, for the location nearest you and schedules.

Back to Top

Pothole Repairs

The Street Division patches street, alleys and other asphalt repairs.

Back to Top

Refuse Collection

The City's refuse service is handled by Waste Resources Inc. (WRI) using a 2-cart collection system.  Gray bins are for "mixed waste" such as trash and recyclable materials.  The green bins are for all yard waste.  Recyclables discarded into the gray trash bin will be separated from regular trash at a nearby material recovery facility.  

Refuse will not be picked up on the following holidays. Refuse will be collected the following business day.

  • New Years Day
  • Memorial Day (Last Monday in May)
  • 4th of July
  • Labor Day (First Monday in September)
  • Thanksgiving Day (Fourth Thursday in November)
  • Christmas Day

Back to Top

Sewer System

The City's Utility Service Division is responsible for managing the City's sewer system. It manages the operation and maintenance of the City's sewer mainlines. 400,000 sewer mainlines are routinely cleaned, 1,000 manholes maintained, 60 blockage cleared and sewer mainlines repaired. The division's objective is:

  • To optimize regular cleaning of the sewers to minimize the blockages and emergency call outs
  • Maintain a sewer manhole inspecting and cleaning program
    Implement a sewer inspection and monitoring program to identify system deficiencies
  • To initiate a citywide sewer system study to identify and recommend system improvements
  • To set up procedures for routine bidding sewer maintenance on a yearly basis
  • To administer sewer related projects

Back to Top

Sidewalk Maintenance

Various Sidewalk Projects are part of the Capital Improvements Program that is on-going in the City. The Public Works Street Division is responsible for maintaining the City's sidewalks. The City's goal and objective is to implement an effective and pro-active type of maintenance services to include for sidewalks, curb and gutters and pothole repairs.

Back to Top

Storm Drain Maintenance

Tips In Reducing Ocean PollutionI

Storm Drains Storm drains were constructed to prevent communities from flooding by allowing rainwater to quickly draining from streets and carrying water to rivers, streams, channels and the ocean. Unfortunately, storm drains carry everything that enters the street to our beaches; toxic chemicals, careless littering, motor oil, antifreeze and other automobile fluids. These other substance is harmful to marine life, and creates unhealthful conditions in our neighborhoods by attracting vermin and rodent pest.

You Can Be Part of the Solution by ……

Using Trash Cans 
By using trash cans, we can greatly reduce the amount of pollutants going into our ocean and beaches-and keep our neighborhoods clean and healthy. Keep litter and pollutants off the street and out of the gutters.

Household Hazardous Product
Prevent pollution at the source by reducing your use of household hazardous product. For information on alternatives to toxic cleaning products and pesticides see Integrated Pest Management (IPM) and EPA Region V

Storm drains are for RAINWATER ONLY
Report any illegal dumping into the gutter or storm drain to 1-888 CLEAN-LA or to report a drainage problem call the City of Lynwood, Department of Public Works 1-310-603-0220, ext. 287, Mon. through Thurs., from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Butt Out!!!!
Dropping cigarette butts in the street pollutes more than the pavement. It threatens public health by contaminating rivers, lakes and local beaches. If you happen to smoke, use an ashtray, and put your butt where it belongs.

Picking Up After Your Pets
Leaving pet waste on the ground soils more then the street. It spreads disease and contaminates rivers, lakes and local beaches. So pick up after your pooch, and help curb pollution.

How Does Reducing, Reusing, and Recycling Help?
Use Less Stuff Many of our pollution problems are really problems of misplaced resources. For every item we recycle or reuse, that's one less piece of trash that can become a part of the marine debris cycle threatening people and wildlife.

Save Water, Save Money $$$$

Instead of hosing down your sidewalks, alleys and driveway, sweep and save more by not over watering your landscaped areas.

Back to Top

Street Light Maintenance

The Traffic Signal Maintenance Division is responsible for maintaining the City's traffic and directional signs and the continuous inspections of all signs that are out weekly. The department implements routine traffic signal timing observation inspecting and maintenance, and continues traffic/sweeping sign maintenance and replacement caused by vehicle and damage.

Back to Top

Street Sign Maintenance

The Traffic Signal Maintenance Division is responsible for maintaining the City's traffic and directional signs and the continuous inspections of all signs that are out weekly. The department implements routine traffic signal timing observation inspecting and maintenance, and continues traffic/sweeping sign maintenance and replacement caused by vehicle and damage.

Back to Top

Street Sweeping

City of Lynwood's streets are swept once every week. The contractor is Nationwide Environmental Services.

If you have questions as to the street-sweeping schedule, please contact the
Department of Environmental Services, Facility Maintenance Division at:

(310) 603-0220, ext.850
Monday - Thursday between the
hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Back to Top

Traffic Signal Operations

Traffic Signal Division is in charge of maintenance, repairs and operation of the City's traffic signal system. The division also maintains all traffic control signs. The City has a maintenance crew who is dedicated to the operation and maintenance of the City's traffic signals, and as a result, has a highly successful preventive maintenance program.

Back to Top

Traffic Signal Maintenance

The Traffic Signal Maintenance Division is responsible for maintaining the City's traffic and directional signs and the continuous inspections of all signs that are out weekly. The department implements routine traffic signal timing observation inspecting and maintenance, continues traffic/sweeping sign maintenance and replacement caused by vehicle and damage.

Back to Top

Tree Maintenance

The City's Tree Maintenance Division maintains the city parkway trees. The division is responsible for the removal of overgrown, dead or diseased trees, the trimming and spraying of the trees. The goals of the division are to:

  • Evaluate, determine and modify the City's tree trimming program to provide a more effective and efficient service.
  • Enhance the beauty and safety of the city by continuing to implement a routine year round light tree-trimming program.
  • Administer the City's annual tree-trimming contract.
To report a City owned tree problem,
call the City complaint office at
(310) 603-0220, ext. 298,
Monday through Thursday
7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
After hours emergency problems, contact:

L.A. County Fire Station #147 at
(310) 603-5255

L.A. County Fire Station #148 at
(310) 603-5270

L.A. County Sheriff Dept. at
(310) 537-6111

Back to Top

Used Oil Recycling

The City of Lynwood promotes the Used Oil-Recycling Program. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency report that just 10% percent of do-it-yourself oil changers take their used motor oil to collection centers and get it into the recycling system. We can all do our part. If you change your own oil, please do your part:

  • After draining the old oil from your car engine, put it in a clean plastic bottle, such as a milk bottle with a lid that screws on tightly
  • Do not use paint cans and other metal containers or plastic bottles once used for bleach, cleaners, antifreeze, gasoline or solvents. The residue from these containers can contaminate the oil.
  • Take your container of used motor oil to a designated collection center. In some areas, special stickers or signs will identify such centers.
  • Drain oil filters completely.
    The City of Lynwood Recycling Program is a grant-funded program. The funding is from the California Integrated Waste Management Board.

For additional information call:
The County of Los Angeles

Back to Top

Wasted Water

The primary function of the Wastewater Division is to operate, maintain and protect the system that collects, and disposes of the domestic and commercial wastes that are generated within the boundaries of the City of Lynwood. These tasks must be performed in a safe and cost-effective manner that protects our environment and meets federal, state and local regulations. The City helps plan for future growth by coordinating water quality monitoring and hazardous waste issues.

Wastewater Collection System

The collection system consists of sewer mains with pumping (lift) stations. Also included in the system are all the manholes and structures that provide access to the system for maintenance and the buildings that house external equipment such as control panels and alarm systems.

Collection system do's and don'ts:

Do - be aware and question changes that you may experience with the system.
Don't - flush bulky waste such as kitty litter, rags, paper towels and diapers.

Do - call your insurance company to inquire about sewer back-up protection.
Don't - pour grease down your drains.

Do - be cautious of anything flushed or poured into the sewer system.
Don't - hesitate to call with questions or concerns regarding your system.

Back to Top

Water Conservation

Are mandatory water conservation measures in place?

Although there is no restriction on the amount of water one can use, however, it is economically smart to use the following water saving tips:

Some water saving tips . . . .

  1. Water your lawn only when it needs it. Step on your grass. If the blades do not spring back when you lift your foot, it doesn't need water. Set your sprinklers for more days in between watering. Saves 750 to 1,500 gallons a month. In times of drought, water with a water hose.
  2. Use a broom instead of a hose to clean your sidewalk, walkway, driveway, parking area or other paved surfaces. This saves gallons of water each time. During this once a week saves 600 gallons a month.
  3. While washing your car, truck, or any other type of motor vehicle, don't run the water hose. Use a bucket of water and a quick hose rinse at the end. This will save you as much as 150 gallons each time. For a two-car family that's up to 1,200 gallons a month.
  4. Fix leaky faucets and plumbing joints on discovery. Saves 20 gallons a day for every leak.
  5. Install water-savings shower heads or flow restrictors. Saves up to and more than 800 gallons a month.
  6. Take shorter showers. Even a one or two minute shower reduction can save you gallons of water a month.
  7. Water lawns, landscape or other turf areas during the hours between 4:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m., except during the germination period for new turf areas or when necessary to test the proper operation of an irrigation system. This watering time restriction shall apply to residential, commercial, industrial properties and uses, and also to public agencies, but shall not apply to commercial nurseries, golf courses for the watering of tee and green areas and other water-dependent industries as determined by the City's Public Works Department.
  8. Adjust your sprinklers so that water lands on your lawn or garden where it belongs and only there. Do not allow water to run off landscaped areas onto adjoining streets, sidewalks or other paved areas due to incorrectly directed or maintained sprinklers or as a result of excessive watering.
  9. Use your toilet for its purpose, not as an ashtray or wastebasket. Saves 400 to 600 gallons a month.
  10. Capture tap water. While you wait for hot water to come down the pipes, catch the flow in a watering can to use later on hose plants or your garden, and unused drinking water, save for your plants instead of tossing down the drain. Saves 200 to 300 gallons a month.
  11. Run only full loads in the washing machine and dishwasher. Saves 300 to 800 gallons a month.

Water Distribution

Water Utilities Division is responsible for the water production, distribution and water service maintenance. Specific duties include maintaining water quality standards, up grading equipment to meet peak and fire flow demands. Water Division maintains 7 active water wells, telemetry system , 3 million gallon reservoir, water meters, read 8,947 meters per year, take 936 water quality samples per year, pump 5,000 acre feet of water, purchase 2,000 acre feet of water, maintain fire hydrants, water valves, repair water mainlines and install brand new water mainlines, fire hydrants and valves.

For additional information, please contact:
Jose Molina at (310) 603-0220, ext. 800.

Back to Top

Water Leaks

To report water leaks or other water related emergencies after working hours, weekends and holidays, please contact the:

L.A. County Fire Station #147 at
(310) 603-5255

L.A. County Fire Station #148 at
(310) 603-5270

Back to Top

Water Quality

The City of Lynwood provides to the community an annual water quality report each year. The Central Basin Municipal Water District as a service prepared the 1998 report to your water supplier. Central Basin Municipal Water District. Central Water District provides imported surface water from the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California to 26 cities and unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County. The federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) set regulations or standards that limit the amount of certain contaminants in domestic drinking water. In California, the Department of Health Services regulates drinking water quality by enforcing standards that are at least as stringent as federal EPA standards

Water Quality Report is prepared every year in March and mailed to the customers by the City. The City ascertains that your drinking water is protected from unsafe levels of chemicals and bacteria by regularly scheduled testing of the water. The Water Division collects city-wide 18 bacteria samples and five physical samples weekly by qualified City employees and send them to a certified Clinical Laboratory which is approved by the Department of Health Services. The results of these samples are sent to the Department of Health Services automatically. In addition, Central Basin Municipal Water District monitors the testing of the City's drinking water wells at intervals required by the Department of Health Services. Central Basin compiles all Water Quality data during the year and prepares the Water Quality Report on the City of Lynwood Water Quality.

For additional information, please contact:
Jose Molina at 1-310-602-3022, ext. 800

Weed Abatement

The Street Division is responsible for the removal of weeds from vacant lots with the City. It also maintains expenditure reports per vacant lot for submittal to the County Assessor's Office.

To report a weed abatement problem, please contact the:

Complaint Desk at (310) 603-0220, ext. 298,
from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday

Back to Top