The City of Lynwood Nutrition Services Division (NSD)
WIC Program is committed to improving the overall health of the community by reaching out and providing support. The Nutrition Services Division meets these ends by providing a wide variety of programs that include the following:
• Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Special Supplemental Nutrition Program
• Nutrition Education and Counseling on a Variety of Topics
• Breastfeeding Education and Consultation
• Farmer's Market Nutrition Program
• Breastfeeding Hospital Rounds
• Speaker's Bureau
The WIC Program
One particular program that plays a large role in the NSD's efforts to reach out to the Lynwood community is the WIC Program. The WIC Program is a supplemental nutrition program that provides monthly food coupons, nutrition education and referrals, breastfeeding support, and referrals to prenatal and pediatric health care services.
To be eligible for the WIC Program you must meet the following criteria:
• For low-income, pregnant women, postpartum women, breastfeeding mothers, infants, and children five years and under who live in Lynwood.
• Applicants must meet federal low-income guidelines.
• Applicants must be at a nutritional risk, which must be determined by a health professional.
If eligible to receive WIC Program services, participants are provided with food coupons that are redeemable at authorized stores for specified foods, such as milk, cereal, eggs, cheese, juice, peanut butter, beans, and infant formula. Food coupons are issued monthly and must be used within 30 days. Participants must also provide staff with proof of regular medical assessment. If eligibility continues, women may participate in WIC for as long as six months after their baby is born or up to one year if they are breastfeeding. Infants and children may participate until age five.
WIC is an equal opportunity provider.
Call the WIC Program office at (310) 661-3080. A medical referral, attesting to pregnancy or nutritional risk, is required as are proof of income and residence. Eligible applicants are referred to the clinic nearest to them for services.
WIC Service Location
3811 Martin Luther King Jr.
Lynwood CA 90262